Mental Health Support Services
During this time of uncertainty, it's important to look after your mental health. If you need someone to talk to, help is available.
Mental Health Support and General Counselling Resources
- Lifeline – Provides crisis counselling and suicide prevention services. Phone 13 11 14 (24 hours a day, 7 days a week). Lifeline online chat.
- Beyond Blue - online and phone mental health support. Phone: 1300 22 4636 (24 hours a day, 7 days a week). Beyond Blue online chat.
- headspace is the national youth mental health foundation dedicated to improving the wellbeing of young Australians (12 – 25 years). Their website provides information and resources on mental health, physical health, work and study support, and alcohol and other drug services. Support for young people and their family and friends can be accessed through this website including finding a local headspace centre, online/phone counselling service eheadspace, and the Digital Work and Study Service.
- MensLine - professional telephone and online support and information service for Australian men. Phone 1300 78 99 78 (24 hours a day, 7 days a week). MensLine online counselling.
- Mindspot - free telephone and online service for people with stress, worry, anxiety, low mood or depression. It provides online assessment and treatment for anxiety and depression and can help you find local services. Call 1800 61 44 34 (8am - 8pm, Monday - Friday; 8am-6pm, Saturday).
- Head to Health (H2H)is a website by the Australian Department of Health that aims to help people find good mental health and wellbeing information, resources, and links to online and phone mental health services. These are hand-picked from Australia’s leading health providers, together in one place. It supports people seeking help – either for themselves or someone they care about.
- The Black Dog Institute has up to date information and resources on mental illness, online self-testing, current treatments and wellbeing. The institute aims to reduce the incidence of mental illness and the stigma around it, actively reduce suicide rates, and empower everyone to live the most mentally healthy lives possible.
- Sane Australia is a national charity helping all Australians affected by mental illness. Their website provides straightforward and concise information about mental health and illness including treatments, support, how you can help yourself or someone you care about.
- Reachout is Australia’s leading online mental health and wellbeing organisation for young people and their parents. Their website offers practical support, tools and tips to help young people get through anything from everyday issues, tough times, mental health issues, relationships, identity, wellbeing or helping others.
Other Specialist Areas
- 1800Respect - confidential counselling, information and support for people impacted by sexual assault, domestic or family violence and abuse via phone or online chat. Phone: 1800 737 732 (24 hours a day, 7 days a week). 1800Respect online chat.
- Domestic Violence Hotline The Domestic Violence Line is a NSW statewide telephone crisis counselling and referral service for women, including trans women. Phone: 1800 65 64 63 (It is 24 hours, 7 days a week).
- Butterfly Foundation's National Helpline (ED HOPE) - confidential service that provides information, counselling, and treatment referral for people with eating disorders, and body image and related issues. Phone: 1800 33 4673 (8am - midnight).
- Directline - confidential alcohol and drug counselling and referral service. Phone: 1800 888 236 (24 hours a day, 7 days a week). Directline online counselling.
- Centrelink: Information if you are affected by COVID-19 Information if you or someone you know has been affected by COVID-19. For careers, Families, Job seekers, Older Australians, People with disability, Students and trainees, people who do not normally receive payments from Centrelink and other COVID-19 support services. Phone: 13 24 68
- Lifeline Financial Counselling Many people at different times in their lives can face hard financial times and the impact on mental health can be significant. To get help Phone: 4645 7200.