Audit, Risk and Improvement Committee
The Audit, Risk and Improvement Committee’s objective is to provide independent assurance to the governing body of Council by monitoring, reviewing and providing advice about the Council's governance processes, compliance, risk management and control frameworks, external accountability obligations and overall performance.
The Audit, Risk and Improvement Committee meets at least four times a year and operates under an Audit, Risk and Improvement Committee Terms of Reference that is reviewed by the Audit, Risk and Improvement Committee with substantive changes approved by Council resolution.
In accordance with Section 428A of the Local Government Act 1993 and the Audit, Risk and Improvement Committee Terms of Reference, the Committee must keep the following matters under review:
- Risk management;
- Fraud control;
- Financial management;
- Implementation of the strategic plan, delivery program and strategies;
- Service reviews;
- Collection of performance measurement data by the council;
- Internal audit;
- External audit; and
- Any other matters prescribed by the regulations.
The Audit, Risk and Improvement Committee membership consists of a combination of independent and Councillor members as follows:
- Elizabeth Gavey – Independent Chair
- Barry Husking – Independent member
- Michael Quirk – Independent member
- Councillor Paul Farrow - Councillor member
- Councillor Russell Zammit - Councillor member
- Councillor Peter McLean - alternate Councillor member
- Councillor Eva Campbell - alternate Councillor member
Council operates an internal audit function as a key component of Council’s governance framework. The internal audit function reports administratively to Council’s General Manager and functionally to Council’s Audit, Risk and Improvement Committee.
Internal Audit operates under an Internal Audit Charter that is reviewed by the Audit, Risk and Improvement Committee with substantive changes approved by Council resolution.
Council's internal audit team conduct audits under a 4-Year Strategic Internal Audit Plan that was approved by the Audit, Risk and Improvement Committee in July 2023. The program of audits for the 2023/2024 financial year can be found here.