The NSW Government Trade and Investment Crown Lands defines a dividing fence as a structure that separates neighbouring properties.

It is usually on the common boundary between two properties.

To organise the repair or construction of a common fence you may need to apply for the personal details of neighbours by filling out the Fencing - Request for Adjoining Owner Details form.

For more information on fences, visit the Dividing Fences Act.


For information on how to resolve a fencing dispute, go to either www.cjc.justice.nsw.gov.au or www.lawaccess.nsw.gov.au.


Pool fences

All swimming pools that are capable of being filled with 300mm of water must be at all times surrounded by a child-resistant barrier.

Inflatable/portable pools are not exempt and must comply with swimming pool laws.

In NSW, swimming pool safety is legislated by the Swimming Pools Acts 192 and the Swimming Pools Regulation 2008.