Camden Bridges Update
The recent floods have significantly impacted a number of Camden’s Bridges. Works are underway to investigate the scale of damage, undertake repair works and reopen these assets to the community.
The damage caused is generally due to riverbank erosion or the collapsing of the riverbank adjacent to our bridge structures. There are various possible contributing factors as flood events over the past couple of years have seen the bridges repeatedly inundated.
This page aims to provide a summary of progress as relevant information is made available to Council.
We are working hard to reopen the bridges as quickly and safely as possible. We appreciate your patience.
Little Sandy Bridge
Little Sandy Bridge is a pedestrian bridge located between the Nepean Cycleway at Chellaston Street, Camden and River Road Reserve, Elderslie.
Damage to the riverbank on the Elderslie side of the bridge has been worsening with each flooding event.
Camden Council has been working with specialist consultants to investigate and design suitable options to repair Little Sandy Bridge including possible improvements.
Estimate timeframes for repair works are unable to be provided until more information is known following the latest flood event. Council will keep the community updated as information becomes available.
Updated 3 November 2023
Council has confirmed the preferred rectification option.
Quotations are being sought from specialist design consultants to undertake the detailed design.
Design is scheduled to commence in December.
Once design proposals are received and a contract is awarded the scheduled commencement date for construction will be confirmed.
Updated 18 September 2023
A peer review of the concept design options for rectification of the damage to Little Sandy Bridge has been completed. Concept designs will now be completed and presented to Council in October for approval to proceed with the preferred option;
Following adoption of the preferred option, Council will proceed to engage a consultant for detail design. Updates will be provided regarding timeframes expected to complete the detail design and issue a tender for construction.
Updated 13 June 2023
Council has completed concept design options for the rectification of the damage to Little Sandy Bridge. A peer review of the options is being undertaken before detail design commences. Further updates on timing will be provided once detailed design commences.
Updated 21 March 2023
Additional survey works and flood modelling, required due to the significant changes to the river banks have been completed. This information has been used to inform a review of and modification to the concept design options.
Final design options and cost estimates are now completed and are being considered by Council.
Once a preferred concept is agreed, consultants will be contracted to undertake the detailed design.
Further updates on timing will be provided once detailed design commences.
Updated 8 November 2022
- The design options for the rectification of Little Sandy Bridge are ongoing. Due to the number of recent floods and significant changes to the riverbank there will be additional river survey and flood modelling required.
Updated 14 October 2022
- The embankments and pathways adjacent to Little Sandy Bridge have been damaged further as a result of the most recent flooding 8 October 2022
- Development of concept design options are responding to this further damage and are ongoing.
Updated 5 September 2022
- Concept design options are still in progress and are expected to be completed by mid-September 2022.
- Survey works and design consultants have been engaged and works are in progress.
Updated 10 August 2022
- Survey works have been engaged and are in progress.
- Design consultants have been engaged.
- Concept design options are in progress and expected to be completed by mid September 2022.