Former Camden High School Site Redevelopment

The former Camden High School site is located in the northern part of the Camden Town Centre at 2-4 John Street and 11 Elizabeth Street, Camden. The site is bound by John, Exeter and Elizabeth Streets and surrounds the State heritage listed house and garden known as ‘Nant Gwylan.'

site
bookks4

 

The site was previously used for the Camden High School which opened in 1956 before moving to a new site in Cawdor in 2001. Part of the site was used as the Camden gasworks from 1911 until 1975 when it then became part of the school grounds

On 8 September 2009 Council granted deferred commencement consent to development application 2008/644/1 for the redevelopment of the site which included the following works:

  • demolition of disused school buildings, remediation of contaminated land and earthworks,
  • refurbishment of one existing building,
  • construction of:

- 57 multiple-unit dwellings and 108 self-contained seniors living dwellings;

- a 76 bed residential care facility and a 51 bed motel;

- a restaurant, a cultural and community centre, a medical centre and ancillary shops; and

- undercroft car parking and landscaping works.

On 1 April 2010 the applicant appealed Council’s decision to the NSW Land and Environment Court. The Court subsequently issued Orders pursuant to an agreement between Council and the applicant that granted a modified consent. The modified consent allowed for the staged remediation of contaminated land and construction of the development across the site.

On 14 August 2012 Council approved a Section 4.56 modification application that made several amendments to the development. The amendments included:

  • reducing the number of multi-unit dwellings from 57 to 26;
  • increasing the number of self-contained seniors living dwellings from 108 to 162; and
  • removing 5 shops from the ground floor of approved buildings 1 and 2 near the corner of John Street and Exeter Street and their replacement with residents’ facilities, and
  • various site layout and design changes.

The development was subsequently modified on 30 October 2017 and 15 August 2018 to no longer require the retention and refurbishment of one of the previous school buildings and to stage the approved subdivision into two stages.

On 16 July 2021 a Section 4.56 modification application was lodged to delete condition 7.0(4) of the development consent requiring photographic archival recording. Click here for more information about the application.

On 19 October 2021 the Camden Local Planning Panel approved a Section 4.56 modification to consolidate buildings 3 and 5, convert the remaining multiple-unit dwellings to self-contained seniors living dwellings and make various site layout and design changes.

The remediation of contaminated land on the site was completed between 2017 and 2018. Works are nearing completion on approved buildings 1 and 2 near the corner of John Street and Exeter Street. The principal certifier for those works is Qusai El-Jurf (Building and Development Certifier BDC 2884). The principal certifier is responsible for overseeing the development’s construction phase and completing mandatory building inspections to ensure that building standards are met. The principal certifier can be contacted on (02) 9715 2555.

The following additional information is publicly available for the development:

To access additional information on the development you must lodge an application under the Government Information (Public Access) Act 2009 with Council. Information on how to make an application is available here.