iStock 915586870

Building or Buying?

If you are interested in building or buying in Camden, please check our Residential Guide for general information.

You will need to attain a Planning Certificate to understand what local planning controls and property restrictions apply. 

Alternatively you can make a general enquiry through the NSW Planning/Mapping Portal.

Zoning maps for Camden LEP 2010 can be viewed on the NSW Legislation website.

Zoning maps for State Environment and Planning Policy (Sydney Region Growth Centres) 2006.

What is a Planning Certificate?

Council is able to issue a Planning Certificate, under Section 10.7 of the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act, 1979.

A Planning Certificate provides information, current at the date of issue, about relevant state, regional and local planning controls and other property restrictions relating to a parcel of land.

There are two types of Planning Certificates:

 Section 10.7 Planning Certificate

A Section 10.7 (2) Planning Certificate provides information, as specified under Schedule 4 of the Environmental Planning and Assessment Regulation 2000, including: 

  • The name/s of relevant planning controls - State Environmental Planning Policies, Regional Environmental Plans, Local Environmental Plans and Development Control Plans;
  • Zoning and land uses that are permitted or prohibited within that zone;
  • Any heritage listings that apply;
  • Land reserved for acquisition;
  • Road widening and road realignment;
  • Whether the land is affected by a policy that restricts development because of the likelihood of certain hazard risks;
  • The name of each contributions plan applying to the land;
  • Whether the land is subject to any site compatibility certificates, such as seniors housing or affordable housing;
  • Matters arising under the Contaminated Land Management Act, 1997;


Sections 10.7 (2) and (5) Certificate

A Section 10.7(2) and (5) Planning Certificate contains the above information, and additional advice on other relevant matters affecting the land.

When do you need a Planning Certificate?

When a property is to be sold, a Planning Certificate is required under the Conveyancing Act 1919, to be attached to the contract of sale.

How to apply for a Planning Certificate?

There are three ways you can apply for a Planning Certificate – in person, by email or by post.

A Planning Certificate application can be downloaded from the following link:

Certificate Application Form

You can lodge your application in person at our Customer Service Centre, 70 Central Ave, Oran Park NSW 2570 and pay the relevant fee.

Alternatively, you can email your application, or

Post your completed application form with a cheque for the full amount to:

Camden Council
PO Box 183

How much does a Planning Certificate Cost and how long does it take to issue?

The following fees have been set under the Environmental Planning and Assessment Regulation 2000 and apply when obtaining a Section 10.7 (2) and (5) Planning Certificate:

  • $53.00 for a Section 10.7 (2) Planning Certificate
  • $133.00 for a Section 10.7 (2) and (5) Planning Certificate

A Planning Certificate will be issued within 5 business or working days.