International BMX facility coming to fruition
Posted 2 months ago
It’s almost time to get on your bike, with the construction of Stage 2A of the Kirkham Park BMX Facility set to begin shortly!
Council accepted a tender for the upgrade works at its Ordinary Meeting this week, which are set to be completed by March next year weather permitting. The work will lead to the venue becoming an international-level facility and will include:
- An eight-metre start hill structure;
- Additional BMX elite straight;
- Large storage area under the existing five metre start hill;
- Warm up track and marshalling area;
- Large publicly assessable pump track to cater for all ages and skill levels;
- Associated lighting, electrical and civil works; and
- Shelters and landscaping.
Mayor of Camden, Cr Therese Fedeli, said Council was committed to creating first-class sporting facilities for Camden residents.
“Council has shown its dedication to providing high quality sport and recreation facilities,” Cr Fedeli said.
“Once it’s complete, the Kirkham Park BMX Facility will be a real drawcard for people across the Camden area and beyond with the facility to be able to host international, national, state and regional competitions, also boosting the local economy with a number of visitors to come to our area.
“BMX is such a fantastic growing sport, which has been part of the Olympics since 2008. I really look forward to seeing our local kids learn, have a go and enjoy themselves – and who knows, we might be watching our local talent on our TVs at the Olympics one day!”
Stage 2A will cost over $2.1 million and is co-funded by Council and the NSW Government’s 2019/20 Greater Sydney Sports Facility Fund.
The stage 2B development is currently in the design phase and will include:
- Removal of existing BMX track;
- New internal connecting road;
- Car parking for up to 200 spaces;
- New pedestrian bridge over drainage channel;
- Concrete pathways; and
- Additional civil, electrical, lighting and landscaping works.
For more information on Council’s major projects, go to camden.nsw.gov.au and search ‘Major Projects’.