Grant funding to fast track local projects
Posted 10 months ago
Local roads and community infrastructure upgrades will be fast tracked, after Council secured more than $3.2 million in Federal Government funding.
The Department of Infrastructure, Transport and Regional Development, under the Local Roads and Community Infrastructure (LRCI) Program aims to assist a community-led recovery from COVID-19 by supporting local jobs, firms, and procurement.
The grant funding will be used for local projects, to be considered as part of the third stage of Council’s COVID-19 Community Support Package, which will need to be delivered by 31 December 2021 and must meet the following criteria:
- Road projects (particularly those that support improved road safety);
- Traffic signs, street lighting, bridges/tunnels, heavy freight support (rest areas/weigh stations);
- Off-road facilities that support visitors; and
- Road and sidewalk maintenance.
- CCTV projects;
- Bicycle and walking paths;
- Painting and improvements to community facilities;
- Repairing and replacing fencing;
- Improved accessibility of community facilities and areas;
- Landscaping improvements;
- Picnic shelters / barbeque facilities;
- Playgrounds and skate parks;
- Noise and vibration mitigation; and
- Off-road carparks - sporting grounds/parks.
Mayor of Camden, Cr Theresa Fedeli, said it was important to support local businesses through these projects.
“Council is committed to supporting its residents through any situation and this funding will allow us to both create short-term employment opportunities in the local area while delivering benefits to the community,” Cr Fedeli said.
“This will enable us to improve road safety where it is needed and provide more accessibility to amenities while at the same time stimulating our local economy.
“I thank the Federal Government for their funding and look forward to seeing the projects completed in 2021.”
Council accepted the second-round funding at last night’s Council meeting, after receiving more than $800,000 as part of the initial funding round in August this year.
For more information on Council’s COVID-19 support package, go to camden.nsw.gov.au/alerts