Heritage Related Development

a8 Street Camden CBD Sunset 3 c6 d4

The best way to ensure the ongoing role of a heritage place in the community is to use it. This must occur in a manner that retains and supports the heritage value of the place – its “significance”. Ongoing use also brings wider benefits, including advantages in terms of social and environmental sustainability.

- Heritage Council of NSW

Applications for new developments or adaptation projects in a historic context need to be supported by sufficient information to enable the approval authority to assess the application. The information required will vary depending on the nature and complexity of the item and the changes proposed. A Heritage Related Development Guideline has been created to inform applicants of the minimum requirements of a heritage related Development Application (DA).

This information is of a general nature and should not be used to meet the legal requirements of a DA.

Camden Material and Colour Guide

Download the Guide here (PDF)

The guide is intended to assist property owners and developers to choose the most appropriate materials and colours for works in the Camden Local Government Area. Please note that works to and including painting of heritage items and buildings within heritage conservation areas will require development consent or a written exemption from Council before proceeding. For further information please contact Council prior to undertaking any works.

When Development Consent Is Not Required for Heritage Related Development


Work, such as re-painting or replacing rusty downpipes, is essential to conserve heritage items and places in heritage conservation areas.  This types of work improve the serviceability of the item or place without negative impacts on its heritage significance.

Clause 5.10 (3) of the Camden LEP 2010 and the Oran Park and Turner Road Precinct Plan and Camden Growth Areas Precinct Plan within the Growth Centres SEPP outlines the criteria that must be met for works to be considered as exempt and not need a DA.

Exempt development is development that is considered minor or low impact and completely meets the specified development standards of State Environmental Planning Policy (Exempt and Complying Development Codes) 2008 or the State Environmental Planning Policy (Infrastructure) 2007.

When applying for a DA exemption under Clause 5.10 (3), a completed application form must be submitted to Council officers with the applicable supporting documentation.

Additional supporting documentation may be required depending on the proposed scope of works. No works can commence until a written approval has been issued.

When Development Consent Is Required for Heritage Related Development


Where Clause 5.10 (3) cannot be satisfied, an application must be lodged with the consent authority to seek consent to undertake development activities. This can be obtained by:

  • Lodging a DA
  • Applying for a Complying Development Certificate (CDC)

It is highly recommended for all heritage listed properties to apply for pre-DA advice from Council prior to lodging any DA.

For further information regarding the requirements of a Development Application when a property is heritage listed or within a heritage conservation area, refer to Clause 5.10 (2) of the Camden LEP 2010 or Clause 5.10 (2) of the Oran Park and Turner Road Precinct Plan and Camden Growth Areas Precinct Plan within the Growth Centres SEPP. For additional information, please see the Frequently Asked Questions on our webpage.

Any DA must contain the required documentation specified within the relevant DA checklist on our website.

Pre-DA Advice Recommendations

When applying for Pre-DA advice, it is recommended that the following supporting documents are submitted with the application:

  • A preliminary statement identifying the proposed works;
  • Heritage information and photos on the heritage significant fabric;
  • Statement of potential impacts of the proposed;
  • Floor plans, elevations, sections, and a site plan showing the existing layout and proposed alteration / additions; and
  • Any other relevant information that will assist Council understand and consider the proposed development.

For further information, refer to the Advice webpage.

Further Information on Heritage Related Development

As a guide, what is considered minor or maintenance can be obtained from NSW Heritage Office's document.

Work is likely to be considered to have minor impact if it is done in accordance with best work practices. Heritage NSW has prepared a series of publications and resources including technical guides on maintenance.

All works must be carried out under the supervision of a heritage consultant or licensed tradesperson with knowledge and experience in heritage conservation related to the work being undertaken.