Camden Local Environmental Plan (LEP) Review 2020
In March 2018, the State Government released the Greater Sydney Region Plan – A Metropolis of Three Cities, and the Western City District Plan, which includes the Camden LGA.
The District Plan is structured around the themes of:
- Infrastructure and Collaboration;
- Productivity; and
In accordance with the District Plan and changes to the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979 (the Act), all councils are required to review and update their Local Environmental Plans and prepare Local Strategic Planning Statements (LSPS). This project will be known as the Comprehensive LEP Review 2020 and will be undertaken over the next two years.
The first step in the LEP Review project is to prepare the Camden LSPS, which sets out:
- the 20-year vision for land use in the Camden LGA;
- the special local characteristics which contribute to local identity;
- shared community values to be maintained and enhanced; and
- how growth and change will be managed into the future.
Council completed the first phase of engagement for the development of the Camden LSPS between November 2018 and February 2019. The initial engagement included an online community survey, local shopping centre pop ups, a digital ideas wall and community workshops held in various locations around the LGA.
The Draft Camden LSPS was publicly exhibited from 23 July to 27 August 2019. Council held local shopping centre pop ups and public information sessions throughout the public exhibition period to hear the community’s thoughts on the Draft LSPS. Council is currently in the process of reviewing the submissions received. The outcomes of the public exhibition will be reported to Council in late 2019.
The next phase of the Camden LEP Review project is to undertake a formal review of the Camden LEP 2010.
A Local Environmental Plan (LEP) is the principal legal document for controlling development in a Local Government Area (LGA). Councils prepare LEPs to establish different zones that allow certain types of uses and standards that regulate what kind of development can happen.
The review of the Camden LEP 2010 will be undertaken later in 2019 and Council will seek input into any proposed changes to the Local Environmental Plan at a future date.
- Council Report & Resolution 9 July 2019 - Camden Local Strategic Planning Statement
- Council Report 30 October 2018 - Comprehensive LEP Review 202 - Project Update
- Council Report – 26 June 2018 – Acceptance of Grant Funding from Department of Planning and Environment for Camden Local Environmental Plan Review
- Local Strategic Planning Statements (LSPS) Guideline – Department of Planning and Environment
- Greater Sydney Region Plan – Greater Sydney Commission
- Western City District Plan – Greater Sydney Commission