Keeping of Chickens
The keeping of chickens is permitted within the Camden Local Government Area, subject to compliance with the previsions of The State Environmental Planning Policy (Exempt and Comply Code) 2008 - (SEPP) and the Local Government Act 1993. The SEPP requirements can be found at Part 2 Exemption Codes, Subdivision 21 – Fowl and Poultry, these generally include:
- No more than 5 fowl or poultry;
- Located in the rear yard;
- Located at least 3m from each boundary lot;
- Fowls or guinea fowls must not be kept within 4.5 metres of a dwelling, public hall, school or premises used for the manufacture, preparation, sale or storage of food (other types of poultry require greater distances); and
- Be so enclosed as to prevent the escape of poultry.
The keeping of rooster(s) is prohibited in all areas of the Camden Local Government Area, except in areas zoned RU1, RU2, RU3, RU4 or RU6 & R5
The keeping of poultry must not create a nuisance or be dangerous to health.
Poultry yards must be kept clean and free from offensive odours at all times.
Should the keeping of poultry become a public health issue, Council may regulate the activity under the provisions of the SEPP and the Local Government Act 1993.
Should you wish to discuss the requirement for the keeping of chickens please contact Council's Environment and Health Officer on 4654 7777.