Rates FAQ's

Frequently Asked Questions

How are my rates calculated?

Rates are calculated on land values as supplied by the NSW Valuer General. In 2022/2023 all properties in Camden Council pay a base amount of $685.00 as well as a rate in the dollar depending on the category (i.e. residential, business or farmland). These categories and rates are listed on the rates notice.  Waste charges also apply and current charges can be viewed here.

To request a change in category, please complete the Category Change Land (Rates) Form.

Stormwater Levy

Is a service to manage the quantity and/or quality of stormwater that flows off land. This levy only affects residential and business properties. Vacant land and non urban land are exempt.

Camden Council grants a special rebate to eligible pensioners.

Septic approval to operate

All sewage management systems are to be registered with Council and will be inspected. Each system will be assessed upon the initial inspection and categorised into low, moderate or high risk. Low risk systems will be inspected every six years, moderate risk every four years and high risk every two years. Upon a satisfactory inspection, Council will issue an approval to operate the septic system on your land with a nominated renewal date. This approval will include conditions for the safe operation and maintenance of your on-site sewage management system.

The "Approval to Operate" fee is a service charge that covers the initial Council inspection of your system (additional inspections will be charged an inspection fee per inspection) and administration costs associated with the program. The fee is an annual fee that is included in your rates.

Waste management availability vacant

Under the Local Government Act an annual charge for waste management services must be levied on each parcel of rateable land for which services are provided or proposed to be provided. This Waste Availability Charge is for vacant land only that is in an area that waste services are available.

Are there rate rebates for pensioners?

Persons in receipt of certain classes of pensions are eligible for a maximum rebate of $250.00 on this year’s Rates and Garbage Charges.  In addition, it was determined in the 2022/2023 budget that Council would provide an additional $50.00 per property to eligible pensioners.

Existing Pensioners will receive Rate Notices with the rebates deducted.  Please notify Council if the rebates are not shown.

New pensioners are required to fill out a Pension Concession Application form and supply a copy of their Pension Card to claim the reduction, alternatively you may apply online here. The address of the property to be claimed must also be the mailing address stated on the pension card. 

Special arrangements to pay

Ratepayers who, due to hardship, are not in a position to settle their rate account in full or in four instalments, can make alternative arrangements to pay by agreement with Council. Please complete the Arrangement to Pay online form and return to Council or phone (02) 4654 7777.

When do postponed rates apply?

If you live in a single dwelling on land that could be subdivided or is in a commercial zone, the rateable value of your land may be more than is usual for a single dwelling. If this is the case you may be able to apply to Council to have part of your rate charge postponed.  For more information, please click here to view the postponed rates information sheet.

To apply for postponed rates you will need to complete and submit the application form for consideration.

Should you wish to discuss this matter, please contact Council on (02) 4654 7777.

About the category

The Local Government Act 1993 requires all land to be categorised according to its dominant use. You must notify Council within 30 days if there is a change in the dominant use of the land eg from Residential to Business.

If you disagree with the category shown on your Rate Notice please complete a Change in Rating Category Application and return to Council within 30 days of receiving the rate notice.

Paying by instalments

Instalments are due on August 31st, November 30th, February 28th and May 31st. Council will send out quarterly instalment notices to you about 4 weeks before each instalment.

The Rates are due one month after issue of each notice and failure to pay by the due date will result in an interest charge.  Interest accrues on a daily basis at 6% p.a. on Rates and Charges unpaid after the due date.

Who do I contact with a land value enquiry?

Land Values are provided by the Department of Land Registry Services at the base date of 1 July 2019.

Enquiries should be directed to:

Land Registry Services
PO Box 745
Bathurst NSW 2795

Phone: 1800 110 038

To view the Office of the Valuer General fact sheet on land values click here.

How do I qualify for farmland rating?

The Farmland Rating Policy was adopted by Council in November 2013. If your Farmland usage meets the criteria set out in this policy then a Farmland Application Form needs to be completed and return it to Council. An inspection of the property may be required, if so you will be contacted by a revenue team member to make an appointment. Farmland Applications will need to be renewed every two years, a new application will be sent when this falls due.  To view the current Farmland Rating Policy go to Council's home page and click Policies or click here.

What extra charges will there be if I use a credit card to pay my rates?

Camden Council offers payments by credit cards which incurs a merchant service fee. The cost of Merchant Service fees to Council has increased over the years, so it was decided to pass this cost only to the customers who choose the credit card payment method. The charge will only be the costs incurred by Council through our bank and the Post Office.

Should you pay via credit card (Visa or Mastercard only) via the following methods a merchant service fee will apply:

  • At Council either over the telephone or in person
  • At the Post Office or through Post Billpay via the internet or phone

You can make Bpay payments by credit cards without incurring the merchant service fee.

For more information on your rates go to our Rates Information Brochure.


Contact Details:

  • Phone: (02) 4654 7777
  • Fax: (02) 4654 7829
  • Email: mail@camden.nsw.gov.au
  • Mail:
    Camden Council
    General Manager
    Attention: Revenue Team Leader
    PO Box 183
    CAMDEN NSW 2570


Changes to:

  • Postal Address - If you wish to change the postal address to which your rate notice is forwarded, please complete the online Change of Address Form or download a copy of the Change of Customer Details Form and mail it to Council.
  • Change of Name - If you wish to change your name on the Rate Notice complete the Change of Customer Details Form and mail to Council along with either a copy of your marriage certificate or relevant deed poll documents. Alternatively, fill in the online Change of Name form and upload the supporting documentation.
  • Email address for eRates - Your registered email address is your eRates username and cannot be altered.  If you change your email address, please email Council at revenue.mailbox@camden.nsw.gov.au to deactivate your current eRates registration.  Once this has occurred you will need to re-register for eRates using your new email address.