Lost, Found and Injured

Reporting a Lost or Stray Animal

In the instance you find a lost or stray animal, you should:

  • During business hours (8.30am - 5pm, Monday - Friday) 
    • Contact us on 4654 7777.
  • Outside of business hours:
    • Contact your local vet
    • Take the dog to Camden Animal care Facility 651 Bringelly Road Rossmore (Rear of Rossmore Veterinary Hospital) during their operation hours, or
    • If possible, secure the dog in your yard and contact Camden Council on the next business day. 
  • Emergency Situations: Council’s after hours service is only available for emergency situations involving a dangerous dog roaming or where a dog attack has/is occurring. Council's after hours service can be contacted by calling 4654 7777.



The Companion Animals Act 1998 requires all dogs to be adequately contained at their properties. If your dog is in a public place and not in one of Council’s designated off leash areas, it must be on a adequate chain, cord or leash and under the control of a person at all times.


Finding a Lost Dog

Any person can seize a dog that is in a public place and is not under the control of a person. Only an authorised person (Ranger or Police Officer) may seize a dog if the owner is present.

Any dog that is seized by a member of the public, is required to return the animal to its owner as soon as possible (if known) or you may take the dog to a Veterinary Clinic or Council's Animal Care Facility. During Council’s business hours you may contact us on 02 4654 7777 and make arrangements for the animal to be collected. Please be advised, if Council does collect the dog you must be present at the time of collection.

It is also possible to report a stray dog using Council's free app. The app can be downloaded through the Apple Store and Google Play by searching for 'Our Camden'.

Any person, who seizes a dog and does not return it to its rightful owner or notify Council is guilty of an offence, which may incur a fine. No person is authorised to hold onto a dog for a period of time.



Council does not seize stray, feral or roaming cats.

Under the Companion Animals Act 1998 cats are permitted to roam free but are prohibited in the following public places:

  • Food preparation/consumption areas; and
  • Wildlife protection areas.

Any person may also lawfully seize a cat if that action is reasonable and necessary for the protection of any person or animal (other than vermin) from injury or death.

For further information please contact Council on 02 4654 7777.


Council’s Animal Care Facility details:

Camden Council Animal Care Facility (Located at the rear of Rossmore Veterinary Hospital) 651 Bringelly Road, Rossmore NSW 2557

Phone: 0418 530 492

Hours of operation: Monday to Friday 9am – 5pm. Saturday & Sunday 9am –4pm. Closed public holidays.


Injured Animals

All injured animals should be reported to any of the following organisations: