Australia Day Award nominations now open
Do you know someone who goes above and beyond for the Camden community and deserves recognition?
Now is the perfect time to shine the spotlight on them with Council’s 2022 Australia Day Award nominations now open.
The annual awards recognise the outstanding efforts of residents who dedicate themselves to making a positive difference in our community.
Applications are now open for the following five categories:
- Camden Citizen of the Year – open to Camden residents aged 18 years or over at 31 December 2021, who have made a noteworthy contribution during 2021 and/or given outstanding service to the Camden community in a non-work-related capacity over several years;
- Young Citizen of the Year – open to Camden residents aged under 18 years as at 31 December 2021, who have given outstanding service and made a positive impact on the community in 2021 and/or longer;
- Sports Achievement Award – recognises a committed sportsperson, sporting team, coach, volunteer or official, whose actions inspire and encourage others whilst enriching the Camden community through sport, healthy living or physical activity. This category has no age restrictions;
- Community Group Award – recognises groups whose tireless work and close contact with the community encourages inclusivity and continues to make Camden an even better place to live; and
- Arts and Cultural Award – a person or group who have made an influential or valuable contribution to the city through any art form, including drama, visual art, music, verse, dance, cultural heritage, expression, literature, film and multimedia.
Camden Citizen of the Year 2021, Silvana Lofaro, said she has had an incredible experience and has called on residents to nominate this year.
“It's an incredible experience being Camden Citizen of the Year and I’m truly thankful for my friends who nominated me, showed me such loving kindness and allowed me to share my passion for foster children,” Ms Lofaro said.
“It’s a very humbling experience and one I'm very proud of. If you know someone who you believe is worthy and deserves to be showered with loving kindness, then nominate them. It's a wonderful feeling to feel the love and get that pat on the back we don't always get.
“Watching my children enjoy and share the experiences with me has been one of the favourite things I have been involved with this year.
“I was fortunate enough to share the Welcoming of Camden new citizens event with them. They were able to see how enriched our community is having these new citizens call Camden home and they were also able to meet some incredible leaders and role models in our community as well.”
Australia Day Award applications will be open until Friday 17 December 2021.
Australia Day celebrations in Camden will also return in 2022, taking place at the much-loved Camden Town Farm for the first time. There will be more information on the exciting event in the weeks to come.
For more information, including eligibility, and to nominate a local hero, visit bit.ly/australiadaynominationform