Time to prove you have the best garden
Posted 8 months ago
Fancy yourself to be a bit of a gardener? Now is your chance to prove your garden is the best on your street entries now open for Camden Council’s Garden Competition.
The annual competition invites residents to enter their yard, plot or patio into one of the following categories:
- Senior Citizen Garden;
- Small Residential;
- Large Residential;
- Veggie Garden/Plot;
- Best Floral Display;
- School/Class Plot;
- Professionally Maintained Garden;
- Most Creative Garden;
- Most Sustainable Garden;
- Best Lawn; and
- Commercial Garden.
Mayor of Camden, Cr Theresa Fedeli, said the competition was a chance for residents to spruce up their garden and prove theirs is the best in town.
“Whether you’re an amateur who loves to look after their garden or a seasoned expert who takes great pride in their backyard, you can enter this fantastic competition,” Cr Fedeli said.
“The COVID-19 pandemic has also given people extra time at home and I am sure all our local gardeners have been busy preparing their yards for this time of year.
“I encourage all residents to consider entering the competition and sprucing up their garden with Spring coming up.”
This year’s competition will be judged by acclaimed florist and horticulturalist, Cecily Rogers, and Alex Ross who will be critiquing entries on the following criteria:
- Overall garden layout, which includes the design and placement of garden features, practicality and aesthetics;
- Plant selection, which includes the variety, features, quality, suitability, covering and screenings of the plants;
- Hard landscaping, which looks at materials used around garden, paths and definition edging and constructed features; and
- Maintenance, which includes soil, mulching, pruning, plant shaping and health.
Entrants go into the running to win a share of $450 in VISA gift cards for each category with entries closing on Wednesday 14 October.
For more information or to enter, go to camden.nsw.gov.au and search ‘Garden Competition’.