Mount Annan Leisure Centre (MALC) Roof Restoration Works
Project Name: Mount Annan Leisure Centre (MALC) Roof Restoration Works
Project Address: Welling Drive, Mount Annan
Project outcome: The works being undertaken are needed to address deteriorated roofing elements including box gutters which are beginning to leak into the building. At the same time, repairs to corroded steel within the building will also be carried out to improve the longevity of these areas.
The works will be undertaken in stages allowing partial use of the pool hall facilities throughout the rectification works.
Project Budget: $1.749 million
For further details on programs or operation of the pool throughout the project please contact the facility managers YMCA on (02) 464 84830.
Friday 1 September 2023
Pool reopening 11 September 2023.
Friday 2 June 2023
Stage One: Closure of 25m Pool - On schedule to re-open on the 8 June 2023
Works included roof restorations above the 25m pool and surrounds. The repairs undertaken included:
- Restoration of rusting structural steel members/purlins;
- Corroded structural column repairs;
- Replacement of water damaged plasterboard/bulkheads;
- Visual painting improvements;
- Replacement of leaking/aged box gutters; and
- External roof flashing replacements/repairs.
Stage Two: Closure of Leisure and Program Pool - Commencing 8 June 2023. Due for completion mid-September 2023.
Monday 1 May 2023
While undertaking the roof restoration works, it became evident that the extent of the damage was a lot more significant than expected. These areas could not be identified previously during normal operations.
Whilst Council has access to these areas through the current closure, the following additional remediation works will now be undertaken on the pool hall ceiling including:
- Re-coating of ceiling purlins;
- Re-coating of ceiling acoustic support framing;
- Additional substructure repairs to end walls and plasterboard; and
- Additional spot repairs to structural steel framing.
These additional works will see a delay for each stage of the project, with the new expected completion dates for each stage as follows:
- Stage 1 - mid June 2023
- Stage 2 – mid September 2023
Works completed so far:
- Spot repairs to structural steel columns and roof structure;
- Replacement of pool hall gutter/drainage systems above the 25m pool;
- Steel column base plate re-coating; and
- Minor leak and internal lining repairs.
We apologise for any inconvenience and look forward to the facility opening in the near future.