Camden Town Centre Streetscape Improvements
The revitalisation of Argyle Street will help ensure the main street of Camden remains relevant to our growing Local Government Area, while improving the safety and visual appeal of the historic town centre.
Project Name: Argyle Street Streetscape Improvements
Project Address: Argyle Street, Camden between Hill and Elizabeth Streets
Project Outcome: Construction of new kerb and gutter, drainage works, widening and paving of footpaths, adjustment of road pavement levels, new energy efficient street lighting on multi-functional poles, undergrounding of power and landscape works.
Project Budget: $3.55M
Completion Date: July 2019
About the Project
Upgrades to the Camden Town Centre streetscapes are imperative to ensure Camden continues to grow and flourish. The injection of significant infrastructure into the Camden CBD after Council moved to Oran Park in 2016 will help ensure Camden is stronger and better placed than what it is today.
In June 2008 Council adopted the Camden Town Centre Strategy 2008. The purpose of the Strategy was to provide planning principles and establish a framework for the implementation of a range of public realm improvements within the Camden Town Centre.
Camden sits within one of the fastest growing parts of the Sydney Metropolitan Area. In addition there have been many challenges affecting Camden including the recent increase in size and role of the Narellan Town Centre and the relocation of Council’s Administration Centre to Oran Park in 2016.
Given these challenges, Council commenced investigations in 2014 to guide the future of the Camden Town Centre. JBA Urban Town Planning consultants were appointed by Council to engage with the community and stakeholders to develop a vision for the Camden Town Centre.
Council ran an extensive community consultation period for the Argyle Street streetscape improvements in 2014 over an extended 8 week period, with 587 formal submissions containing over 3,000 individual comments. The consultation process identified majority community support for the proposed works.
The improvements as part of this stage of works will be a continuation of the style of landscaping, paving and street furniture completed in 2016 between Oxley Street and Hill Street (Stage One), the median widening completed in 2017 between Elizabeth Street and Edward Street (Stage Two), and the drainage and visual streetscape improvements completed in September 2018 between Oxley Street and Murray Street (Stage 3).
Key consideration has been given to maintaining the operation of local businesses and the works have been scheduled in a sequence of stages to minimise impacts on the community.
The most recently completed stage of works between Hill and Elizabeth Streets commenced in mid-September 2018 and were completed in July 2019.
- Phone Camden Council on (02) 4654 7777
- Email the Project Team: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Write to:
Camden Town Centre Streetscape Improvements
Major Projects Branch
Community Assets Division
PO Box 183
CAMDEN NSW 2570
- Click here for a link to Council's Frequently Asked Questions on this project
- Council Business Paper - 28 August 2018 - Tender T026/2018 - Argyle Street, Camden - Stage 4 Streetscape Improvements
- Council Business Paper - 28 November 2017 - Tender T004/2018 - Argyle Street Streetscape Improvements, Camden - Stage 3 Murray to Oxley Streets
- Council Report - 14 March 2018 - Tender T004/2017 - Argyle Street, Camden - Median Works between Elizabeth and Edward Streets
- Council Report - 8 December 2015 - Argyle Street Streetscape Upgrade - Stage 1B
- Council Report - 28 July 2015 - Argyle Street Streetscape Upgrade - Stage 1A
- Council Report - 14 April 2018 - Camden Town Centre Vision Report
- Council Report - 25 November 2014 - Camden Town Centre Infrastructure Improvements - Community Consultation Update
- Council Report - 8 July 2014 - Camden Town Centre Improvements
- Study - April 2014 - Camden Town Centre Multi-Storey Car Park Study
- Study - September 2013 - Camden Town Centre Traffic & Transport Study
- Camden Town Centre Vision Report
Project Media Centre
- Media Release - Next stage of Argyle Street upgrade starts soon - 11 September 2018
- Media Release - Works Begin on Argyle Street Stage 3 - 5 January 2018
- Media Release - Next Stage of Argyle Street Upgrade Works - 29 November 2017
- Media Release – East Entrance to Argyle Street Beautified – 30 June 2017
- Media Release - Argyle Street Enhancement Works Continue – 17 March 2017
- Media Release – Council Completes Stage 1 Improvements to Camden Town Centre – 26 August 2016
- Media Release – Completion of Stage 1A Camden Town Centre Works – 28 June 2016
- Media Release - Update on the Camden Town Centre Works – 12 November 2015
- Media Release - Camden Town Centre Enhancements to Begin – 8 July 2015
- Media Release – Camden Council Launches Major Camden Town Centre Upgrade – 10 July 2014