Nominations Sought For Planning Panel

Nominations are being sought for community representatives to Camden Council’s Independent Hearing and Assessment Panel or IHAP.

Community representatives have until 7 December 2017 to nominate for positions on the Camden IHAP.

The NSW Government recently passed legislation requiring IHAPs to be set up in local areas to determine planning applications for certain local development.

The IHAP will consist of three independent experts and representatives of the local community. We are looking for a mix of people who live locally to join our new IHAP.

Your role as an IHAP member is a part-time, paid role starting in March 2018. The position will be paid in accordance with rates to be set by the NSW Government. Further details will be provided on this shortly.

You will be expected to contribute constructively to panel discussions, attend around 24 meetings a year, and help determine applications for new development in your area.

Membership of the panel is for up to three years.

The selection criteria for membership to the IHAP is as follow:

  • being a current resident in the local government area;
  • having knowledge and awareness of the local government area and of the issues of concern to the local community;
  • being able to demonstrate my understanding of the planning process and assessment issues;
  • being able to represent and communicate the interests of the local community;
  • being able to attend IHAP meetings and contribute constructively to the determination of applications; and
  • being willing to adhere to the IHAP's code of conduct and operational procedures.

Mayors, councillors, property developers and real estate agents are not eligible to apply.

Fill in the nomination form or contact Kate Drinan on 4654 7826 for more information. Email your nomination form and supporting letter addressing the above selection criteria to or mail to The General Manager, PO Box 183, Camden NSW 2570 by the closing date.

Applications close on 7 December 2017.

More information about IHAPs can be found on NSW Planning and Environment’s website.