Swimming Pools

All swimming pools that are capable of being filled with 300mm of water must be surrounded by a child-resistant barrier. Inflatable/portable pools are not exempt and must comply with swimming pool laws.

Pool Registration

All swimming pool owners are required to register their pool on the state-wide online
Swimming Pool register.

To register a pool, pool owners will need to know:

  • Address of the pool.
  • The type of property such as a private residence, multi-occupancy (units etc) or tourist and visitor accommodation.
  • If the property is on a waterfront, land greater than 2 hectares or less than 230 square metres
  • When the pool was built (3 choices of date range apply)
  • If the pool barrier has been substantially modified or rebuilt and when that took place (3 choices of date range apply).

Inspection Program and Pool Fence Checklist

Recent amendments to the Swimming Pools Amendment Act 2012 require Council to develop a Swimming Pool Inspection Program in consultation with the community.

Prior to Council Officers inspecting swimming pools, owners must complete the application form for a Swimming Pool Certificate of Compliance.

You are also encouraged to complete a Self Assessment Checklist prior to Council inspecting your pool, to ensure non-compliances are rectified and avoid paying for re-inspections.

Which self-assessment Checklist?

If you have an older pool you may be eligible to comply with the existing standard at the time your pool was built.

On inspection if your barrier is not in compliance with the older standard or has been modified, it must be upgraded to the current standard.

Many things can cause a barrier to be upgraded;

  • Not compliant with the existing/prior standard
  • Barrier is replaced due to rust or damage
  • Updated old tubular fence to glass
  • Yard works such as installation of pergolas and decks

Therefore, over time all barriers will require an upgrade to the current standard.

It is suggested for greater safety; all pool barriers are self-assessed against the current standard  http://www.swimmingpoolregister.nsw.gov.au/checklists/A321767.pdf/view

Note: Should you be required to have more than one inspection a further $100 fee shall be paid prior to a re-inspection.

For further information refer to www.olg.nsw.gov.au and the Swimming Pool Register website.



Do Portable Pools, Spa Pools and Swim Spas require approval?

Any portable pool or spa with more than 2000L in capacity requires prior formal approval.

All portable pools and spas are required to have a compliant child resistant barrier and be registered on www.swimmingpoolregister.nsw.gov.au



Where a spa is designed for relaxation and contains only seating it may be exempt from requiring a child resistant barrier surrounding the spa pool. Spa pools which are eligible for the exemption may be secured by a lockable lid that complies with the Swimming Pool regulations 2018.

Regardless of various names; swim spas, plunge spa, plunge spa pool – the inclusion of the word spa does not grant the exemption to enable a lockable lid. It is about the activity that may be undertaken within the pool. If in doubt it is always best to check with Council prior to purchase and installation.

The lockable lid must always be kept on the spa pool when not in use. A current warning sign including resuscitation (CPR) techniques must also be displayed and easily readable within a 3 metre distance.

Swim Spa

If the spa pool contains an area for swimming &/or aquatic play in addition to seating, the spa pool may be used in a similar manner to an above ground swimming pool. Therefore, spa pools which are designed for swimming &/or aquatic play are required to be surrounded by a child resistant barrier. (pool fence)

The child resistant barrier that surrounds a spa pool must fully comply with the Australian Standard - safety barriers for swimming pools. A current warning sign including resuscitation (CPR) techniques must also be displayed and easily readable within a 3 metre distance.

Public Swimming Pools

Public swimming pools and spas located with the Camden Local Government Area are required to notify council. Public swimming pools and spas are defined up the Public Health Act 2010. Water Parks are defined as public swimming pools and therefore are required to meet the same standards.

For more information, please contact Camden Council on 02 4654 7777.