Open Burning

Residents are advised that burning in the Camden Local Government Area is prohibited.

Exceptions apply for bona fide hazard reduction works where a Hazard Reduction Certificate has been issued by the NSW Rural Fire Service (RFS). The NSW RFS can be contacted on 9608 7777.

Some agricultural operations and cooking fires are permitted. For information in this regard, you can contact one of Council's Environmental Health Officers on 4654 7777.

The burning of vegetation without a Hazard Reduction Certificate is prohibited, except with a written approval from the Environmental Protection Authority (EPA).


Solid Fuel Heaters

Wood fired heaters can be a source of unwelcome nuisance in our community during the cooler months.

If you have a wood heater here are a few easy steps you can take to start the season well:

  • Have the fire box and flue cleaned.
  • Check for wear and tear and have all repairs attended to by appropriately qualified tradespeople.
  • Have a ready supply of good quality dry timber and kindling.
  • Refresh your operator skills. Be sure you know how your wood heating appliance works and operate it at its optimum settings at all times.

Like any appliance, wood heaters eventually wear out. If you are looking for a new heater you might consider installing cleaner more efficient alternatives including reverse cycle air conditioning or gas.

If you are thinking of buying a new wood heater please refer to Council’s website for more information about the selection, installation and use of solid fuel (wood fire) heaters in the Camden LGA.