Pre DA Advice

Prior to lodging a development application (DA) you may wish to consult with Council. 

There are two different ways to obtain pre-DA advice from Council:

1. Duty Officer Enquiry

 Examples of duty officer enquiries include:

  • How many car parking spaces do I need for my development?
  • Can I subdivide my land and what is the minimum lot size?
  • Do I need a DA to put up a sign? 

Phone or visit Council's Oran Park office and talk to the duty officer regarding your development. Many DA questions can be quickly answered this way.

2. Formal Pre-DA Advice

Formal pre-DA topics are:

  • DAs proposing large subdivisions, residential flat buildings, multi dwelling housing, significant commercial developments including shopping centres and complex industrial developments;
  • DAs that will be determined by the Sydney Western City Planning Panel;
  • DAs with a capital investment value greater than $2 million;
  • Complex proposals including those with environmentally constrained sites;
  • DAs that are likely to attract a large number of submissions from the public; and
  • DAs that will involve LEP or DCP variations that you wish to discuss with council staff.

Complete and e-mail a Pre-DA Advice Form to You must also provide concept plans and relevant supporting information with the application.

From 1 August 2019, Council will charge a fee for most pre-DA advice services. The fees to be paid are outlined in the tables below. There are no fees applicable for pre-DA advice (advice letter only) relating to single dwellings and/or secondary dwellings.

Single Dwellings and/or Secondary Dwellings (i.e. New Dwellings, Alterations and Additions to Existing Dwellings and/or New Secondary Dwellings/Granny Flats).


Fee (excluding GST)


Fee (incl. GST)

Pre-DA Advice (Advice letter only)

No   fee

No   fee

No   fee

Pre-DA Advice (Meeting and advice letter)





Other Development (Not Being Within the Single Dwelling and/or Secondary Dwellings Category).


Fee (excluding GST)


Fee (including GST)

Pre-DA advice for development valued between   $0 - $500,000 (Advice Letter only. Additional $110 fee required for an optional meeting)



$330.00 (+$110 for an Optional Meeting)

Pre-DA advice for development valued between   $500,001 - $1,000,000 (Meeting and advice letter)




Pre-DA advice for development valued between   $1,000,001 - $3,000,000 (Meeting and advice letter)




Pre-DA advice for development valued between   $3,000,001 - $10,000,000 (Meeting and advice letter)




Pre-DA advice for development valued $10,000,001   or greater (Meeting and advice letter)




Pre-DA advice from Council’s Design Advisory   Group Panel (Meeting and advice letter)




Follow up Pre-DA advice/consideration of   additional information/amended designs

50% of original pre-DA advice fee

*Residential development comprising six or more dwellings or three or more storeys, and/or retail and commercial buildings that are three or more storeys high, must be referred to Council’s Design Advisory Group.

Please note that pre-DA advice is preliminary in nature and that no detailed assessment of the site or development is undertaken. Following lodgement of the DA and a detailed assessment, additional issues may arise that are not detailed in the pre-DA advice that may require the development to be modified or additional information to be provided. Council may also determine that the development cannot be supported on the site.

In addition, many developments require approval from third party authorities such as the Natural Resources Access Regulator and the NSW Rural Fire Service. Council staff cannot provide specific details on the requirements of these authorities and separate contact should be made with them before lodging your DA.