This glossary will help you understand the common terms used in relation to planning and development.

The main planning controls for the Camden LGA (the Camden LEP and the Growth Centres SEPP) include a dictionary which legally defines the terms used in the various clauses.

  • Building Code of Australia (BCA): A set of technical provisions for the design and construction of buildings throughout Australia
  • Camden LEP: The LEP (see definition below) for all land in the Camden Local Government Area, except land rezoned under the Growth Centres SEPP (see definition below)
  • Complying Development: Routine development that can be certified by a council certifier or a private certifier
  • Complying Development Certificate (CDC): A certificate that allows a complying development to be carried out. A CDC can be issued by Council or a private certifier
  • Construction Certificate (CC): A certificate that allows building or subdivision work to start. A CC can be issued by a Council or private certifier
  • Development Application (DA): An application for consent to carry out development, but does not include an application for a complying development certificate
  • Development Consent: Approval to carry out development
  • Development Control Plan (DCP): Detailed guideline that illustrates the controls that apply to a particular type of development or in a particular area. A DCP provides more detailed controls that support the LEP or SEPP
  • Exempt Development: Proposals that do not require development consent so long as predetermined standards and requirements are satisfied
  • Floor Space Ratio (FSR): The ratio of a building’s floor area to the size of land that the building sits on. The FSR indicates how much floor area can be built on a site
  • Growth Centres SEPP: The legal document that establishes the planning rules and objectives for the South West and North West Growth Centres
  • Integrated Development: Proposals that require development consent plus a specified permit/approval from a state agency, for example, a licence from the Environment Protection Authority or a permit from NSW Fisheries
  • Local Environmental Plan (LEP): An LEP outlines land use zones and permissible development within those zones. They may also contain other provisions like heritage, tree preservation, and subdivision. They can apply to all or part of an LGA
  • LGA: Local government area
  • Occupation Certificate (OC): A certificate that allows the occupation or use of a building
  • Planning Certificate (Section 149): A certificate that provides information on the development potential of a parcel of land, including any planning restrictions that apply
  • Principal Certifying Authority: A council or private certifier that oversees the building or subdivision process
  • Private Certifier: A private sector professional who is accredited to issue certain certificates and perform specific duties under the legislation
  • State Environmental Planning Policy (SEPP): Policy that addresses matters of state significance. Two key SEPPs for Camden are the Growth Centres SEPP and the Codes SEPP
  • Subdivision Certificate: A certificate that allows a subdivision to be finalised and registered with the Land and Property Information (LPI) authority
  • Zoning: The system of categorising land uses as prohibited, requiring consent or not requiring consent within particular areas. Zones (such as residential or commercial) are shown in plan form and explained in LEPs and SEPPs