Personal Injury and Damage Claims

Personal injury

If you’ve been injured, our priority is to fix any issues so nobody else gets hurt. Please click here to report to us what caused your injury as soon as you can.


If your claim is about damage caused by the condition of a road – like a pothole – you'll need to show that Council knew about the problem and had neglected to fix it. Factors including how long we could reasonably take to fix a problem are also taken into account.

Tree roots in pipes

Tree roots entering pipes is a common problem. This will usually only happen if the pipe is already damaged or breaking down and reaching the end of its useful life. As it is up to property owners to maintain their drainage systems, in many cases Council won’t accept liability when the roots of Council-owned trees enter private drains.

Information to include with a drain-related claim

If you're claiming for damage related to a drain, try to include one or more of the following:

  • A copy of the Sewer Services Plan. You can find this on Sydney Water's Tap In website or Dial Before You Dig.
  • Recent aerial images from Google Maps (or similar) clearly showing your property, structures and vegetation, as well as surrounding neighbours.
  • A report from a licensed plumber or other suitably qualified service providers. This should include:
    1. Their business name and details.
    2. The address of the property they inspected, and a description of the inspection methods they used.
    3. Details about the type and age of pipes, their condition, factors that contributed to any damage, and options to repair it.
    4. A clear plan of the property's sewer, showing the location of all pipes, flow directions, the location of the damage, and entry points used for inspection.
    5. Camera footage of the sewer system that shows the damage or blockage.


When trees or branches fall unexpectedly or because of weather, Council is not legally responsible to pay compensation.

We look after many thousands of trees on public land across Camden. We regularly maintain trees to keep them in a safe condition. We also respond to all reports of trees that are unsafe, or might become unsafe.

However, we can’t inspect every tree on public land, and trees or branches can fall at any time – even from healthy trees. Weather events like storms or high winds can also cause trees and branches to fall suddenly.

To make a claim about damage caused by a tree, you will need to prove that Council knew there was a problem with the tree and was negligent in dealing with it.

Property Damage

If any property that is covered by your insurance is damaged, we recommend that you report it to your insurer. If they believe Council is at fault, they will take care of seeking compensation from us. Be aware that you may have to pay an excess, or meet other rules set by your insurer. Talk to them if you’re unsure. If you don't have insurance, you can still lodge a claim with us. 


The claim process

Insurance claims

If your claim is about damage to property or a vehicle that’s covered by an insurance policy, you might be able to claim through your insurer. If they believe Council is at fault, they will take care of seeking compensation from us.

Be aware that you may have to pay an excess, or meet other rules set by your insurer. Talk to them if you’re unsure.

Council claims

For personal injury, or if you don’t have insurance, you will need to follow the steps below to make a claim with Council.

When making a claim for personal injury, you should include copies of medical reports, details of the treatment you received, and evidence that demonstrates how Council was at fault.

Prepare your information

The more evidence you can provide to support your claim, the better.

What you need to include will depend on your individual case. Things that can be helpful include:

  • Details of when, where and how the problem happened
  • Photographs or videos
  • Reports from relevant experts, such as doctors, arborists or building professionals
  • Witness reports or contact details
  • Evidence that the cause of the problem had been reported to Council - include the case or reference number from your report

If we don’t have enough information, this can slow down the processing of your claim.