If you Install, alter or conduct major repairs to your septic system without Council Approval, chances are you will be caught which can result in heavy fines.
Council consent is required for any modifications to your septic system, including:
- External Drainage (including the connection of additional drainage)
- Tanks (including replacement and repair)
- the disposal area, (including replacement of or modification to)
To avoid fines ensure you contact Council's Environmental Health Branch on (02) 4654 7777 before completing any works on your septic system to obtain further advice regarding the need for approval.
Did you know?
- If you are involved in organising for works to be completed on a system (e.g. an owner or Real Estate Agent) or are involved in completing any works (e.g. Plumber or supplier) you can also be held liable.
- It is important to ensure that you confirm with the property owner that the works you are about to engage or complete have the prior written consent of Council.
Council now provides pre-purchase inspections on septic systems for a small cost. This allows a potential property purchaser to be informed of the current working condition of the septic system you are about to inherit.
To organise for a pre-purchase inspection of the onsite sewage management system to be undertaken by Council permission from the current property owner is required. An application for a pre-purchase inspection form is required to be completed and submitted to Council accompanied by the appropriate fees in accordance with Camden Councils fees and Charges.