Phone: 4654 6800
Open Monday to Friday, 9am - 5pm. No appointments necessary.
Open for private functions and group bookings only. The home farm of John and Elizabeth Macarthur dates back to 1805. This wonderful picturesque setting includes Belgenny Cottage, built in 1820, and the oldest surviving collection of farm buildings in Australia. John and Elizabeth Macarthur established convict-built Belgenny Farm on part of the original 5000 acres granted to the family by Lord Camden in 1805. Ranked among Australia's great agricultural pioneers, the Macarthurs established Merino wool production, wheat growing, dairying, horticulture and grape growing.
40 John St, Camden
Phone: 4655 3400
Open Thursday - Sunday, 11am - 4pm. Free entry.
Located inside Camden Library, Camden Museum contains a rich collection of Camden's historical artefacts including photos, maps, clothing, uniforms, furniture, guns, musical instruments and badges. Formed in 1957, Camden Historical Society is instrumental in keeping history alive in the Camden area through the museum and is responsible for the preservation and display of this heritage. The society has produced several publications, which give an insight into the rich history of the area.
Camden Park House
Elizabeth Macarthur Ave, Camden
Phone: 4658 1370 (Call Camden Visitor Information for details)
Open to the public on the second last weekend in September and for group tours by arrangement. The building and design of Camden Park House, which preoccupied the mind of John Macarthur in the last years of his life, was begun by his sons, James and William, in 1832 and completed in 1835, a year after John's death. When John Macarthur was granted 5000 acres of the best pasture land in the colony, he promptly selected The Cowpastures and proceeded to establish Camden Park Estate, which became one of the finest estates in the nation. Camden Park House, is still occupied by the Macarthur family.
Camden Valley Inn
Cnr Wire Ln and Old Hume H'way, Camden
Phone: 4655 8413
Built in the early 1930s, originally as a milk bar, but always as a popular meeting place for locals. The "Camden Vale Inn", as it was then known, was built to promote the pure and wholesome milk of Camden Park. Today the inn has changed from milk bar to restaurant and a luxury hotel inn, after being granted its tavern licence in 1989. The Camden Valley Inn still retains its quaint charm and country friendliness in an atmosphere reminiscent of old England. The inn is the ultimate in mouth-watering hospitality, revitalising surrounds, clean air and homemade comforts.
Kirkham Lane, Kirkham
Phone: 4658 1370
"Camelot" stands on the site of explorer John Oxley's Kirkham Mill. The original grant was made in 1810 and extended in 1815. It is constructed from brick and has a romantic silhouette of turrets, chimney stacks, gables, arched verandas and projecting bays. "Camelot" was reportedly built with the winnings from "Chester", a racehorse which won the Melbourne Cup in 1877, owned by James White. The house was owned later on by the Faithfull-Anderson family. Camelot also has a fine brick stable with arched wooden ribbing, a brick smokehouse and an octagonal aviary.
Cobbitty Rd, Cobbitty
Governor Macquarie named this area Cobbedee, and when Gregory Blaxland was granted land here in 1812, he called it Cubbady Farm. The village of Cobbitty, nestled on the Nepean River, attracts much interest because of the lush country views and beautifully kept historic buildings. Stroll through the art gallery or the markets, held on the first Saturday of the month.
Gledswood Homestead and Winery
900 Camden Valley Way, Catherine Field
Phone: 9606 5111
Originally named "Buckingham" the property now "Gledswood" was a grant of 400 acres made to Gabriel Louis Marie Huon de Kerillian in 1810. De Kerillian was a French nobleman who fled the Revolution and joined the N.S.W. Corps as Gabriel Lewis, arriving on the "Surprise" in 1794. He was at one time a tutor to John Macarthur's sons.
|John Oxley Cottage|
Camden Visitor Information Centre
Camden Valley Wy, Camden
Phone: 4658 1370
John Oxley Cottage is built on land that was originally part of the grant made by Governor Lachlan Macquarie to John Oxley, 1000 acres in 1815 - Kirkham and 850 acres in 1816 - Elderslie. It is a
typical "workman's cottage" thought to have been built in the 1890s as part of a row of similar cottages along the road into Camden. The cottage is built from bricks most likely to have been made at the brick works in Camden. The original roof of wooden shingles can be seen under the back verandah. John Oxley Cottage now houses Camden Visitor Information Centre.
Menangle Rd, Camden
Phone: 4654 7777
The official opening of the park was held on 10 October 1906.The original fence is still standing and the tender called for its construction required it to be ‘sheep proof'. The park is a small part of John Macarthur's last grant, covering 5,400 acres and granted to him in 1825, only 8 years before his death, when the whole Estate was about 33,000 acres. The park was a gift to the people of Camden by the last Elizabeth Macarthur-Onslow, a grand daughter of John Macarthur. In accepting the gift, the Council of the day decided to name the area ‘Macarthur Park' in honour of James Macarthur, the donor's father. The gift was made on 8 June 1905.
Studley Park House
Camden Golf Club
Lodges Road, Elderslie
Phone: 4646 1203
The building was originally two properties. The first grant was to William Parrott on 1 January 1810, the second to John Condron on 25 August 1812. In 1888 the combined properties were sold to William Charles Payne who commissioned the building of Studley Park House. Built in the High Victorian style it was also known as "Payne's Folly". Payne sold the house to its architect, Francis Buckle, in 1891 and Buckle sold it in 1902 to Dr. Henry Oliver. Studley Park House became Camden Grammar School until 1933 when the property was sold to Arthur Gregory, a keen golfer who commissioned the construction of the golf course. In WW2 the Dept. of Defence took over the property and trained the newly formed Women's Royal Australian Army Corps at the house. Ghost tours are run every month at this historic property.
Wivenhoe Heritage House
Macquarie Grove Rd, Kirkham
Phone: 4655 6061
Wivenhoe Historic House (c.1837) built for Charles Cowper (five times premier of NSW) is on the Mater Dei Property, belonging to the Sisters of the Good Samaritan since 1910. The House is available for guided tours, history talks and / or personal browsing . $5.00 per person. Guided Tours .approx 50 mins Enjoy the history and splendour of Wivenhoe as one of our friendly guides escorts you through the house. History Talks hear the history of Wivenhoe and then peruse the house at your leisure. Guided tours are available from 11.00 a.m. till mid afternoon.
Back to Top